Friday, September 4, 2009

Ketchup Sandwich - How I hate thee.


I haven't posted in a long time about the whole host family thing, but I got offered another ketchup sandwich today for breakfast and decided the time had come. Aunti Ji raves about how great a cook she is, but man, when Pushpa has the day off it's rice and yogurt for dinner and ketchup sandwiches for breakfast.

and for those of you who are in doubt. here is a picture. Yes, that's untoasted fully bleached white bread smeered with ketchup and topped with Oyster Crackers. YUM!!!! Oh, and be careful with that bowl that looks like porridge. It's cold milk with some grain at the bottom and about a quarter of a cup of sugar. The real secret around here seems to be either add a tremendous amount of salt or a tremendous amount of sugar. No inbetweens.....

This morning, I quickly snapped a picture when Aunti Ji left the room, threw the ketchup sandwiches into the garbage, and came back. Maybe I'm just venting now, but another beef that I have is that I feel like when I am a guest in someone's house I should be offered the same food that they eat - whatever that is. I asked for fruit today, because I have noticed all last week that Uncle Ji and Pulkit have been having guava, pomegranate, and watermelon on a daily basis. The response was, "did I bring any fruit?" What's up with that? It'd be one thing if I didn't see that the refrigerator was full of fruit that looks like it's going to go bad in the next couple days. I'm SO ready to not be living in someone else's house!!!!!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Oooh the joys of the ketchup sandwich, constantly being treated different and not as though you would like to eat the same things that the locals eat for mere nutritional value if anything else. Never mind the driving and traffic situation. Seems as though India has fully taken a hold of you. There are always, always two sides to everything and everyone. It is just far, far more obvious in India for some reason. For each adorable, cuddly 14 year old, there is a 14 year old pick pocketer. Things change there in such an obvious way.....enjoy. Thanks for your stories and taking me back. It can all feel so far away and so long ago. I appreciate you being there......the female Pfeister- natalie.

Justin Parker said...

Roda, you just made my night.