Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Jugaar Karna

Guest Blogger Allen!

Jugaar Karna is a great phrase in Hindi that means "to manage somehow" and usually involves quite a bit of ingenuity and creativity. It comes up a lot in my work when something goes wrong and you have to find a way to work around it.

We have had a lot of electricity problems where I am currently staying at the Deccan College Campus in Pune, Maharashtra. Last night, a man connected a live wire from the main source to the meter while I held a flashlight hoping that he wouldn't get electrocuted in the process.
Today we learned that the wire from the pole was actually loose. So in order to get it re-connected we threw sticks at it to try and jiggle it a little bit.

I really didn't have any confidence that this would work, but by the time I came back out of the house with a video camera, the power had come back on. Now I know which wire to throw sticks at should the power go off again. (it's the one on the right the farthest down). So this is the video of us talking about throwing sticks at the power cable. Enjoy!



No comments: