
Deccan College Campus

It's about time I posted a bit about AIIS and Deccan College in Pune. they have been so incredibly nice to me at the AIIS office here (as they have been in Delhi and Lucknow as well) - that I have to say that AIIS people are the BEST! This has got to be one of the most well-organized groups in India.
Upon arrival, Anil - ji set up a car for me from the airport, arranged housing for me (eventhough it had to be shifted around a bit at the last minute) and then spent the entire day with me on Monday seeing to it that I met the people I was looking for and would be able to meet them again during the days to come. I was on a fast track to accomplishing all of my research goals - and I have AIIS's fantastic staff to thank for facilitating that success.
There have been a few bumps along the way with regards to housing. Electricity has been a bit of an issue. The first night, I realized that none of the plugs in my room worked (so I couldn't use the All-Out and subsequently gotten bitten by mosquitoes). That was promptly fixed the next morning. Maybe one or two nights later, the power kept going out and we had to throw sticks at the powerline to get the power to come back on, as perhaps you may remember - but a few hours later someone came and fixed that as well. Last night was perhaps the worst when the power gave out completely at midnight, and I spent the next 5 hours trying to figure out to sleep in a sauna. I dumped water on my head about 3 times over the course of the night, but it only helps cool you down briefly. Finally around 5am I wrapped myself in a sheet to ward of the mosquitoes and fell asleep on the cold stone porch - which was at least able to catch a bit of a breeze. I was worried that there was some serious problem with the electricity and that I would have to move, but as per all my other experiences it seems as if things have gotten taken care of.
I believe our building is now connected to some kind of generator.
It isn't really until the electricity is gone that you realize just how much you need it. I have so many gadgets from phones to cameras to computers that need recharging and the mosquito killer and so on.
I also have to thank AIIS immensely for loaning me their internet adapter with out which none of this communication would be possible. Ok enough of me blabbing. Check out some pictures!!!!
Here are some photos from Deccan College to give you an idea of where I am staying.
I have three great roomates:

Yashvant (Left) and Tushar (Center) who study Geography at Pune University

Arun who teaches Sanskrit here at Deccan College


This is our Bungalow.
The room I share with Tushar


The Kitchen

The Bathroom

And a Nice Picture of the full moon tonight.

No comments:
Post a Comment