Thursday, April 8, 2010

Prem makes Daal Chavel - Back to Basics

Daal Chavel (Daal and Rice) that staple of (north) Indian cuisine, ahhhhh.....
However, I can't impart Prem's genius with you without first sharing the basics ... have to work you up before we get to the other fun stuff.

An Introduction to Prem's Spice Tin:

Starting from the top and going clockwise:

Mirch Masala (red) - Ground Chilly
Garam Masala (grey) - "Hot" spice mixture
Haldi (yellow) - Turmeric
Jeera (seeds) - Cumin
Dhania (brown) - Coriander
Bari Ilaayachee- Cardamom (whole seeds, large)

Pay not attention to the middle container, I was told explicitly - zururi nehin - that it wasn't that big of a deal .... (what is it? I still wonder)

I should mention, this is just his "everyday" spice container. He has all types of other recipe specific spices around the kitchen; the ones in this container though get used almost every day.

With that short, but spicy, introduction here is Prem's second lesson:

Prem Makes Daal Chavel from Nikki on Vimeo.

A staple of Indian cuisine made by Love

No comments: