The first was when the guy came to drill a hole in our kitchen counter for the gas tube. Like all Indian power tools, there are no plugs attached to the cords, just dangling wires that are inserted into the outlet. However, our outlets have a little safety switch on them so that you can only insert 3 pronged plugs into them. (we have actually had to use a pencil to push the safety valve down in order to plug a two pronged plug into the socket.)
My India moment was that he was using a metal kitchen knife. Yes. he was sticking a metal kitchen knife into the electric socket.
I later hid this knife in the bedroom (it is our only good cutting knife) when another guy grabbed it and was walking towards a drain which he intended to use it like a crowbar to pop open. fortunately I rescued our knife.
Because when people come to your house to do work, they don't bring the tools they need, like stepladders, screwdrivers, matches, etc. I guess they just assume that you will have these tools. I found that interesting.
The next story is from a few hours later when a guy came to fix our leaking gas cylinder. The fact that it smelled of gas and made a hissing sound when you turned it on, didn't seem to be sufficient proof that it was leaking. So he lit a match. I was terrified that this 10 gallon can of compressed propane was going to blow up my entire apartment as, of course, it immediately caught on fire.
They very hastily blew out the flames and crisis was averted, but I must say it was very disconcerting to see 6 inch flames leaping off of a tank known to be filled with combustible material in my kitchen.
Later, after replacing a washer in the connector piece with a nail they found on the floor, because they didn't bring any tools with them either, they tested it again and there were no flames, so I believe the leak has been repaired.
Ah India.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment