Friday, October 16, 2009

Shubd Paran

Sorry for the quality of this video ... but a pretty neat technique


2009-10-14 Biplabh Battacharya performs Shubd Paran, Lucknow from Nikki Candelore on Vimeo.

Shubd Paran is a mixture of words and spoken tabla bols. In this form the drum sounds mimic the sounds of the poetry both in cadence and in their reference to the onomatopoeic words used to represent those sounds. So in the middle of the poem, he will also throw in some onomatopoeic words that reference the drumming he is performing. It all becomes mixed and makes a new form of poetry/drumming. Really cool. I wish I had gotten all of it, but this little clip gives the basic idea. The poem is about Shiva, but I unfortunately don't have any more specifics.

The concert was performed at Rai Umanath Bali Hall, Lucknow. Sri Battacharya is accompanied by Sri Rajendra Prasand Banerjee on harmonium

No comments: