Friday, June 29, 2012

Overdue: Google Scholars Retreat, 10K Run, Twin Peaks, and Pride in SF

Allen's post yesterday shamed me into posting about all the crazy things that happened last weekend!  ;)

It was a whirlwind and it started last Wednesday at the Google Scholar's Retreat. I was made a finalist for the Anita Borg Scholarship for Women in Technology that Google sponsors in collaboration with the Anita Borg Institute. The retreat was for all the diversity scholarships that Google sponsors, so there were groups that represented Native Americans, African Americans,  Hispanic Americans, Veterans, and individuals with disabilities.

A fun place to work, literally, with a slide in the office

I'll admit it was pretty cool to hang out at the Googleplex. We got a previewed look at the Google Glass Project...


Sebastian showing the before and after


And I tried to talk the advice of one of my professors and gorge myself on Odwalla that was "in the building behind the dinosaur" ... sadly, I failed on that mission, it must have been moved. Sorry Dr. Chuck.

 Me and Stan the T-Rex

But honestly the best part of the retreat was meeting all the other amazing and inspiring scholars.


My roommate, Amanda 

Nicki, Nikki, and Kehontas... Retreat BFFs


I'm really looking forward to keeping in touch with these wonderful ladies. I know they will be doing amazing things in the future ... and I only hope I can be a part of it.

But this wasn't the end of my crazy weekend. On the Saturday after the retreat, I met up with my coworkers in Palo Alto to run a 10k in the Packard Summer Scamper, a race that is apparently a lot more serious than I was expecting - oops!

We did it! Rafae, Lisa, Nikki, and Steve

And we totally finished - in a little over an hour! Which as you can tell from my surprise, that was an entirely un expected outcome.  :p

But the fun didn't stop there! It was an absolutely gorgeous day - the clearest since I arrived in SF. So Rafae and I went up to Twin Peaks, which has the best view of the city....

Where's the fog?

And ... the view definitely did not disappoint.

Last but not least, I got to go to the San Francisco Pride Parade. This is one of the biggest Pride celebrations in the country and it was an amazing spectacle to see. It was so bright, colorful, open, and friendly... it would have been incredibly difficult to not be affected by all the love and celebration that surrounded you.


Fabulous!

Believe it or not, I'm in for another amazing adventure this weekend. Tomorrow I'm going to try to rustle up some of my SI friends for a trip to Muir Woods. Then on Sunday, I'm doing a full-day bootcamp to learn the programming language Ruby. Fingers crossed, I'm in for some more excitement.

No comments: