Yes, here in India this seems to be a comedy as everyone knew this would happen. They knew their government was corrupt and that the wealthy people involved in making these contracts would steal as much as they could from the tax payers in the process. So now, as the catastrophe unfolds, they laugh. And I laugh with them and weep for them; it is a tragic comedy of epic proportions.
However, what I hadn't thought about is how quickly the rest of the world is going to compare China's Olympic success with India's complete failure. For the rest of the world this shame is less amusing and more disturbing. The fragility of the Indian infrastructure has been exposed to the world in a way that I think it hadn't previously. What I don't think anyone here is ready to admit is that the negative effects of this fiasco are going to linger in International opinion for a long, long time. It's hilarious, right?
No comments:
Post a Comment