Thursday, November 12, 2009

Follow up from yesterday's post about the fog ... now the rain...

So it seems the sky couldn't hold any more condensation nuclei, and so finally shed some of the pollutants with a light drizzle this morning.

Lucknow 9-24-2009 and 11-08-2009

Lucknow 11-12-2009 (today)

How do you get about town on the scooter in the rain, you might ask ....
Easily!

First, wrap your head in a scarf for warmth... bonus if it makes your helmet snugger...

Next, put on two coats, the bigger, the baggier, the better ... if people mistake you for a man at first glance, then you're doing it right

I really need to do an updated post about traffic in India - I'm trying to get the wording right so I don't scare my mom too much ... but things that really struck me about driving in the rain today included:
- Much less traffic, since it has to be nearly 70% of the traffic here in Lucknow is scooters/motorcycles/bikes/cycle-rickshaws people just decided to stay home rather than go to work.
- I was warned by the guards on my way out of the building this morning that I had my light ON... since it is daylight out, why would you need your lights on?

Fortunately it wasn't very heavy rain - otherwise I would have wished I had had wipers on my helmet ... and Allen is mentioning (as he's reading this post over my shoulder) that heavy rains cause the open sewers to flood ... and well, yes, I wouldn't have liked driving in that much at all. Don't know how much scrubbing I would need to feel clean after driving in that.

No comments: