Friday, June 17, 2011

Odd culture shock

I'm back in the States! I left India super early Monday morning; got in to NJ around noon; had two days with the folks and some errand running in NYC; and now I'm happily in Ann Arbor, MI looking for housing for next school year.

I'm very happy to be back. It was great seeing my family (even if only for a little while - I'll be back soon!). And visiting my home away from home - NYC - was a real treat.

But I've been giggling for the last couple of days about my "culture shock". Honestly, I haven't felt frustrated in the way I was expecting (maybe that will come later?) ... but rather, I'm getting a little thrown off by small differences.

The silliest, by far, is that America's light switches are "backwards" for me now.

In India, to turn a switch on, you press the bottom half of the switch; sometimes, the top part which will now be sticking out from the wall even has a red light on top that lets you know the power is now on.

In the States, it is the opposite.

So, embarrassingly, a couple of times I've walked into a room in my parents house and wasn't exactly sure how to turn on the lights because the way they were already positioned said "off" to my brain.

LOL!

I guess I should be pretty thankful that this is, seemingly, the worst of my culture shock so far!

1 comment:

littlemithi said...

Hello gorgeous, haven't been here in a while (but have been reading the rss feed) ... you're back in the states - school in Michigan - as a student or academic? And whats the plan for that lovely husband of yours?

How quickly the last few years have passed. Big hugs to you lovely one!