So while Allen and I were on our way home from visiting my former Hindi tutor and newest pen pal we literally were engulfed by a parade for Valmiki Jayanthi - a celebration for the birthday of Valmiki, the poet credited with writing the Ramayana*.
The whole pantheon was represented, by children, of course: Valmiki with this fluffy white beard, Ram and Lakshman with their bows, Hanuman clearing the way... the multiple wedding bands blaring music (with their diesel generators to power the speakers)... and, no less importantly, children running around handing out prasad to passers by...
... but sadly, I have no pictures. So, for once, just take my word that it was really awesome and such a perfectly Indian moment**.
_________________________________________
* We're still trying to plow through the 1990 television serial version of the Ramayana. We're on disk 8 of 20 ... but I'm confident we'll make it through by the end of our time in India.
** By which I mean, that neither of us had any idea that today was Valmiki Jayanthi until we were overtaken by the parade
Friday, October 22, 2010
Valmiki Jayanthi or Reason 19,473,629,394,769,320 to Always Carry a Camera in India
Labels:
celebrations,
children,
holidays
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment