Monday, February 1, 2010

Guest Blogger Allen sees the worst job ever.

Dear All,

It is a privilege to get on here and actually write something for myself. I have, I must say, been a bit lazy and let Nikki do everything. But she's so good at it!!!

Anyhow, today I saw the worst job. ever.

WARNING: if you are squeemish or are thinking about eating soon don't read any further.

Just out side the workshop where my tabla classes are held some men were trying to unclog the sewer. On my way into class they were jamming large wooden sticks down into it and everyone was giving them a wide berth because they were splattering feces all over themselves in the process.

On my way out of class (nearly two hours later) they still had not successfully unclogged the sewer. One man had stripped down to his skivvies and had actually gotten IN the sewer. He was up to his chest and and reaching around under "water" with his hands to try and get at the problem. He crawled out and looked like that kid from Slumdog Millionaire - only in real life.

and I smelled it. Ewwwwwwwwww. Easily the grossest job I have ever encountered, and now that I have shared it with you I want to remove it from my mind as quickly as possible.

only I can't. I think I am scarred for life.

But seriously. I felt tremendous pity for this man. I feel like in the states if we didn't have machines to do this kind of work for us, we would at least have some kind of protective clothing or other measures in place. How can he do this and not get sick? He was at it for hours, and from the looks of it it was going to take many more hours to accomplish the task.

Very sad. very gross.

No comments: