Sunday, September 30, 2012

Ruling the school as a 2nd year MSI...

Apologies for the radio silence - I've been conquering my school BWWHWHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAAHAH [insert manicle hand rubbing, shifty eye movements, and imaginary mustache twirling here]

But seriously, I've come back to take SI by storm! I'm an officer in two clubs, both related to my major career interests, and am already starting to plan for next year's A2 DataDive. I'm a first name basis with our Dean, who is lending his full support to our event. And apparently, I'm quite literally an SI poster child...

...using information analysis is what it is suppose to say [facepalm]

Apparently all my hard work last year paid off.... In more way than one I'm learning; I only needed 5 classes this entire year to graduate. So I'm taking it easy: 3 this term and 2 next term. What's great is the classes I'm taking (Interaction Design, Fundamentals of Human Behavior, and Information Visualization) all look like they will feed well into each other.

Plus I got a sweet internship at a local start up, DeepField, with a former classmate of mine. It is an internet analytics company; we monitor traffic and flows and report back on the infrastructure costs to customers. This job literally combines all of my loves: economics, big data, and information visualization of that data. I'm going to be working on how to represent all this information to users in a useful way through the interface.

There are a ton of articles out there about how awesome DeepField is, but I'm going to point you to this most recent one in the Atlantic not just because of how cool we sound, but also because I have a little cameo over Naim's shoulder.

Who is that intelligent looking woman in pink?

Allen's deep in the throes of applying for academic positions for next year ("GoTeamAllenGetAJob!"). There is a lot of material he has to present with each application, including writing samples and prospective syllabi ... but he seems to managing to juggle this work and his fellowship at the Metropolitan Museum of Art quite nicely. I'll leave it to him to give you an update on what he's doing (cough, cough) ...wink, wink, nudge, nudge Allen.....

But just know we're both happy, active, and amazingly productive!




5 comments:

Allen Roda said...

I want the poster!! Seriously.. I want it! For me. Send it. I love it!

Hamsa Stainton said...

Such an awesome update Nikki, and I totally agree with Allen: you should snag that poster!

Victoria and Stephen said...

This post makes me smile!!! So happy for you! :)

Victoria and Stephen said...

This post makes me smile!! :)

Victoria and Stephen said...

This post makes me smile! :)