Saraswati: The Goddess of Knowledge, Music, and the Arts
Saraswati Puja Morning from Nikki on Vimeo.
I love the shy look the older brother gives the younger brother about 1:30 into the video. You can tell taht they know this is really important and really serious and are trying to make sure that they do it right, but they are also nervous to be doing this in front of so many people.
As an aside, despite being the Goddess of Knowledge, books are not allowed to be read on this day. They are to be offered at the Goddesses feet for blessings and then read at another time.
Also fascinating was the way in which others celebrated the Goddess of Music - particularly when she was on her way to the Ganga at the end of the ritual.
Saraswati Puja Part 2 from Nikki on Vimeo.
There were tons of processions like this, but this is the one I happened to get the best video of. Others weren't nearly so tame. It is no surprise to anyone who has been to India, but I just thought I would point out that there are no women involved in this at all. All dancing is done by young men. Generally speaking it involves gyrating somewhat uncontrollably.
Also of note is that the song playing: Munni Badnaam Hui - is by far this year's biggest hit. The main chorus can be translated: "I got a bad reputation for you darling." I have heard this song probably a minimum of once/day and a maximum of about 10 or 12 times/day since the movie Dabbang (about a corrupt police officer in U.P.) came out last September.
No comments:
Post a Comment