Crazy story....
So we were out visiting Sarnath, the location of the deer park where the Buddha first taught about dharma, with our bridge-playing friends Hamsa and Danika and their friend Jane, a Buddhologist, and they asked me if I'd be interested in tagging along with them as they visit two other major Buddhist pilgrimage locations in the region: Bodh Gaya, the place where Buddha attained enlightenment, and Nalanda, the location of the oldest Buddhist university.
And I said, "Sure, why not?" Chances like this, to travel around historical Buddhist sites with folks who know a great deal about them only comes around once in a lifetime, right?
Sadly, Allen can't come because of a number of complications* ... but I'm betting I'll some pretty entertaining stories when I get back.
_________________________________
* Read: Interestingly, buying last minute train tickets the night before departure is is more likely that the women's compartment will be relatively empty than not.... Plus, isn't he doing some sort of research something or other .... [scratching head]
Tuesday, January 18, 2011
Surprise Tour of Buddist Sites in Uttar Pradesh and Bihar
Labels:
friends,
monuments,
religion,
tourism,
UP experiences
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment