Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Bomb Blast in Banaras: We're OK, so don't worry

News just broke that there was a bomb blast during the Aarti ceremony at the Dashashwamedh Ghat this evening. Thankfully, neither of us was anywhere near the site. From what we can tell* several people were hurt in a "low-intensity" blast.

I'm very distressed by the idea that they (the unknown they) would target something like the Aarti, which attracts both Indian and foreign pilgrims alike. It is by far Banaras's biggest tourist attraction.... the Broadway show of Hindu religion, maybe would be a good way of describing. I've never been to the Aarti, but we had planned on going together sometime because Allen says there is musical accompaniment - and maybe an opportunity for more research.

Who knows if we'll go back. I guess a lot depends on what the fall out is....
_________________________________
* I know we complain about 24 hour news channels in the States, but seriously, it doesn't come anywhere close to how crazy and disorienting it is to watch Indian news channels --- especially when something serious is going on.

No comments: